Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Big Deal

For the first time ever a woman has a chance at becoming the president of the United States. This is a big deal. Not even a century ago women weren't allowed to vote for who would become president of this country. Their opinions were not worthy enough; their lives not important enough; their judgment not keen enough.
I get it... emails and national security. I get it. I get it and I don't get a flying fuck about it. It takes not one iota of magnitude from the degree of BIG DEAL this is for me; for women.
Did you miss the first part? For the first time ever a woman has a chance at becoming the president of the United States. All the arguments against her may be valid, but fuck you for implying this is not a big fucking deal for women in this country.
For every woman who has ever been sexually assaulted or harassed. For every woman who has ever been told she wasn't good enough. For every woman who has ever felt inadequate. For every woman who has been beaten, put down, or made to feel ashamed. For every woman. Win or lose. This is a BIG DEAL. 


I found this comment on a Facebook post and wanted to share because it is exactly what I'm getting at here!

 "I  hovered my finger over the button just for a minute, and let it sink in that I actually was going to get to vote for the first woman president....and I lived to see the day. When I was told in the 70's that the secretarial pool was the highest job any woman would ever have in the Fortune 100 company I was employed by, I pretty much thought it would take a thousand years. And look how things have gotten so much better in this country since then, for so many people who were second-class citizens in my youth."
See? It's a BFD, you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment