Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Seven [attempted] Acts of Kindness

A lot of people in my town are participating it displaying seven random acts of kindness today as a way to celebrate the seventh birthday of a little girl who died alongside her 5 yr old sister this past February. Even though I didn't know the family personally, we had a lot of common friends and, as a mom, I feel horrible for their losses.
So when I received the Facebook invite to the Seven Acts for Sophie, I was happy to add my name to the "attending" list. I always try to commit random acts of kindness in my daily life. Even something as simple as holding the door open for a mom with a stroller full of kids can perk up someone's day (trust me, as the mom with the stroller full of kids, it's appreciated more than you could guess).
The day arrived, and I won't lie and say I did much pre-planning. I had a general idea of things I wanted to do, though.

#1
After the biggest monster went to school, I called and scheduled an appointment with the Red Cross to donate blood. Then the little monster and I headed off to the donation center.
We got there on time, checked in and took a seat. And waited. And waited. And... oh yeah. Waited. Finally, 45 minutes after my appt time, I asked how much longer it would take. To which the lab tech replied, "30-45 more minutes". Needless to say...

#2
I'd gathered a bag of canned and boxed goods, with the intention of dropping it off at the local food bank. I park, lug the little monster out of the car, and get to the door... only to find it locked. I knocked and waited around, but no one ever came. I'll deliver them later. 

#3
As E grew out of clothing, I'd put it in a comforter bag. Since today is a day for kindness, I decided to take it to the Planet Wear donation bin. I stick it in the top of the bin, push it closed... aaaaand it's stuck. 



#4
After the clothing/not fitting debacle, E and I decided to take a nap. Then it was time to pick A up from school. I needed to go to Target, and the only way I can survive Target with two children is by going to Starbucks first. I had the intention of paying for the car behind me's order as well (even said that when I "checked in") but then the poor woman just in front of me accidentally rear-ended the person in front of her. She was a mom, had a baby in her car and I could tell she was flustered. I thought...
to really make a difference.
I tell the barista working the drive thru (did I mention I was in the drive thru? That might've been important) and he said it was fine. She gets her free whatever and as I'm pulling up I realize.... 
I don't have my wallet.
I get to the barista (BTW, they know me there so this is extra embarrassing) and apologize eight ways from Sunday, promise that I'll run home and get my wallet. Thankfully, he didn't call the cops. Off I sped - have I mentioned that I live on the other side of town? 1/2 hour later, I returned, wallet in hand. 


So for acts #5-7, I will be staying hiding inside, safely making donations.


I don't regret one failed attempt at kindness. Sometimes shit happens and you have to laugh at it and move on. These were minor annoyances and if I made just one person's day a little brighter (hopefully the starbucks chick), then it was all worth it for the memory of a sweet little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment